Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Clarendon Cup Crystal City Criterium 2011

I'm burned & crispy to the bone from this weekend: Clarendon cup + Air Force Classic 100K + Crystal crit = couch time

I got shelled at the Clarendon cup and I crashed in the 100K on sunday morning (I was half-wheeling DC Velo Harry who zigged to avoid a woman who zagged & I bounced). Vday Danny behind me claims he got it on video so I'll post it, along w/ some cherry pics of my strawberry ground-beef *ss.

After the race I had a beer and buffalo burger with Brook & Tony then rode back to Falls church to feel out my legs. Even soft-pedaling, I felt terrible. Just awful. Woozy, headache boo-hoo, wah-wah *sniffle sniffle* pout, poor me.
But I'm cheap and I paid $45 to race... So I left the house at 2 for the 2:30 start thinking I would let fate decide whether I’d get there in time (my subconscious had already decided I’d be drinking another couple of beers w/in the hour).

Fate smiled-on (or snarled-at) me since the ladies race ran long and our race was delayed a few minutes. After scrambling around getting everything pinned, pooped, popped & filled I rolled up at the very back of the start. Late, but just in time. I wanted to poke my middle finger in fates eye-socket.

Right from the start, things were sketchy and I clung onto the back by my fingernails. The 8 corner crit quickly devolved into a crashtacular crashfestival of crashy crashness in crashingtonion proportions. I've never seen anything like it. Second lap, second turn: on my front wheel a multiple person pile-up (I overheard someone say 20) followed immediately in the next turn by a dude doing a cirque de soleil style, hand stand flip, over on top of the barriers. Again, it was on my front wheel & as I locked it up I expected to get crushed from behind by the two guys that were further back than me. The tattered field was spread single file thin all over the course. Luckily for those of us tailgunning in the breeze, they stopped the race while the ambulance swept up the metal & flesh, flotsam & jetsam. After standing for 10-15 minutes in the breezeless, stagnant, oppressive, sweaty heat, we restarted and I got to witness two MORE separate crashes in turn 2. Two MORE NCVC'rs (Andy & Mikerr) were crashed into later in turn 2 and 6 respectively. Surprisingly, I felt better with each lap as the double shot caffeinated my brain and lied to me about my condition. I jumped up near the front with 8 laps to go and felt like I might actually be a contender. With 6 laps to go, I super-cramped just at the turn 2 of destruction and pulled myself lest I pile up some more bodies.

overall, I call it a win and feel good about it.
yaaaaaay....

on the other hand, I'm done with riding for at least another 22 hours. Perhaps the Tue noon ride might be an option.

put some jelly on me, I'm toast

No comments:

Post a Comment